Furniture Painting 101: A Guide to Revamping Your Space
Furniture painting can be a fun and cost-effective way to add a pop of color or new life to a room. Whether you’re looking to update a piece of furniture you already own or giving a thrift store find a fresh look, furniture painting can be a great DIY project. Here’s a guide to help you get started.
- Primer (or FMP transition paint)
- Paintbrushes (Staalmeester or Zebra)
- Drop cloths
- Prepare the surface. Use sandpaper to remove any rough spots, dirt, or grime from the surface. Clean the surface thoroughly to ensure a smooth and even surface for painting. I recommend TSP-Alternative by Fusion Mineral Paint; a little goes a long way. Mix a cap full with warm water.
- Apply primer. Primer helps the paint adhere better and provides a uniform base for the paint color. Use a brush or roller to apply a thin and even coat of primer. *This step is not required if using Fusion Mineral Paint.
- Paint the furniture. Once the primer has dried, apply the paint in thin, even coats. Allow each coat to dry completely before applying the next one. You may need to apply a few coats for full coverage.
- Allow furniture to dry (cure). Generally cure takes place in 20 days depending on humidity levels. Cure is moisture evaporating from paint.
- Apply wax to add luster yet not required.
- Test the paint color first. Before you start painting your furniture, make sure to test the paint color on a small, inconspicuous area to ensure that you are happy with it.
- Choose the right paint. Furniture painting typically requires a different type of paint than wall painting. Look for paint that is designed specifically for furniture and surfaces, such as Fusion Mineral Paint.
- Remove hardware before painting. If your furniture has knobs or handles, remove them before painting to ensure even coverage and make the painting process easier.
Furniture painting can be a simple and affordable way to update your space. By following these steps and tips, you can create a beautiful piece of furniture that is uniquely your own. Get creative, have fun, and enjoy your newly painted furniture for years to come!